Report Code Violations


There are many types of code violations. Some common violations are described on the following page. For a full list of categories, visit Please bear in mind the differences between personal opinions and code violations. In order for a code violation to exist, it must be defined by a Tulsa City Ordinance.

For example, if your neighbors paint their home a color you dislike, it is not a code violation. It may be in violation of a covenant, but is not a code violation. Neighborhood Inspectors do not enforce covenants; those are dealt with by Homeowners Associations.

It’s usually best to try to talk to your neighbor about a potential code violation before reporting it to the City.

How to Report a Violation 

Dial 3-1-1

  1. Call 3-1-1 to file your complaint. Be prepared to give a physical address, your name (will be kept confidential), and a description of the problem.



  1. If this is your first visit to, click ‘Register’ to create an account.
  2. Once logged in, click ‘Services’ to file a new complaint.
  3. Select the category that best fits the problem you’re reporting, and enter the requested information, including the address and a description of the problem. Be specific.
  4. When you’re finished, click ‘Submit’.


Use the Mobile App

  1. Download the Tulsa311 app from your mobile app store.
  2. Log in or create an account if this is your first visit.
  3. To submit a new complaint, click ‘File a Report’.
  4. Select the category that best fits the problem you’re reporting.
    Note: the mobile app does not include all of the categories listed on If your category is not included, select ‘Other’ and provide a detailed description.
  5. Enter the requested information, including the address and a description of the problem. Be specific. The app also allows users to upload a photo of the problem.
  6. When you’re finished, tap ‘Submit’.


What Happens Next
The case will be assigned to an inspector, who will visit the property. If a violation is found at the time of inspection, a written notice will be given to the property owner, who will have 10 days to correct the violation. Immediate interventions can be made if the violation poses a health and safety risk.

What do I do if I’ve received a Notice of Violation Letter?
The notice includes the name and phone number of the City of Tulsa Neighborhood Inspector assigned to your case. You may also call 3-1-1 to be directed to Working In Neighborhoods.

Common Code Violations

Yard/Lot Maintenance Standards

Every property owner/resident is responsible for maintaining their lot and yard, including any tree or plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. Grass ground cover cannot exceed 12 inches in height, except for produce for human consumption grown in a tended and cultivated garden. Weeds, poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac must be removed. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists.

Trash, Junk and Debris

Materials including auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, paper, cardboard, plastics, tree trimmings, and limbs are not allowed to be stored in your yard. The City provides services to help dispose of some items. Please contact Bulky Waste Pickup at 918.596.9511 for assistance with larger items.

Inoperable Motor Vehicles

Inoperable motor vehicles must be stored in a fully enclosed structure. A vehicle must appear to be operable and capable of being legally operated. Signs of inoperable vehicles are flat tires or missing parts. These vehicles cannot be used for storage or be stored in the yard, street or driveway. See Section 45.140 of the Zoning Code.


Parking on residential lots is permitted only on a legal driveway or in a garage. A driveway or parking area must be made with approved all-weather surface material (asphalt or concrete) to meet city standards. In certain zoning situations, there are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Tulsa Planning Office at 918.584.7526 for more information about legally recognized parking areas.

Note: Vehicles parked in the street must be operable and may not remain parked in the same space for an extended time. Please note the closest address, the color, model, and tag number of vehicles when reporting a street parking violation. These violations are handled by the Tulsa Police Department.

Outdoor Storage

Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances or auto parts outside. You may store building materials outside if they are neatly stacked. You may store firewood, grills, lawn furniture, hoses, tools, play equipment for children, or a lawn-mower outside.

Vacant, Unsecured Structures

Property owners are responsible for securing all structures and components including windows, doors, or other openings. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure if a break-in or fire occurs. These structures are a very real problem for neighborhoods. They have become a target for vandals, criminal activities, and a general nuisance for adjacent properties.

Illegal Business

Some home occupations are permitted by right, and others are permitted only by special exception. Most businesses are not allowed to operate in residential areas. Examples of illegal businesses would include auto repair and ongoing sales. For more information, you can refer to Section 45.100 of the Zoning Code, or call the Tulsa Planning Office at 918.584.7526.

Commercial and Recreational Vehicles

These vehicles may not be parked in a residential area unless they are within a fully enclosed structure. It is illegal to park any vehicle not customary to residential use (such as box vans, dump trucks, semitrailers, etc.) on a residential lot. Recreational vehicles have specific conditions for parking in residential neighborhoods. Please contact the Neighborhood Investigations office by calling 3-1-1, or see Sections 45.130 and 45.150 of the Zoning Code to review these requirements.

Illegal Fencing, Screening, Walls

Fencing in a front yard may not exceed 4 feet in height, and side and backyard fencing may not exceed 8 feet. Permits are required for any fence more than 7 feet tall, and for retaining walls. See Sections 45.080 and 65.080-F of the Zoning Code for more information on fence and screening regulations.

Dead or Damaged Trees

Dead trees or trees damaged to the extent that a limb, the entire tree, or part could fall and pose a hazard to the public are a violation, and must be removed by the property owner. See Plant and Care for Trees for tips on pruning trees.


Tulsa City Ordinances

Tulsa Zoning Code

Online: visit
Download the Tulsa311 mobile app
Dial 3-1-1

Check Status

  1. After logging in, click ‘My Requests’
  2. Click on a specific case to see details

• Mobile App

  1. Tap on ‘My Reports’, then select a specific case to see details

• Online Self Service Portal

  1. Click on “Search Inspections”
  2. Change the Search box to “Code Case”
  3. Enter the address you are searching and hit enter
  4. Results will show all cases on the property since 2018

Contact Working in Neighborhoods
Call 918-596-1292 or send an email to

Contact the Permit Center
Visit or call 918.596.9456.

Contact the Tulsa Planning Office
Visit or call 918.584.7526.