The purpose of Historic Greenwood District Main Street (HGDMS) is to preserve the historic character and importance of the Historic Greenwood District while achieving economic revitalization that is reflective of the historically African American entrepreneurship that has existed in the district for over a century. HGDMS is an active Oklahoma Main Street Community recognized by the State of Oklahoma, Department of Commerce, Oklahoma Main Street Center. HGDMS will implement a comprehensive approach to the Historic Greenwood District Main Street District’s revitalization following the Four-Point Approach methodology ascribed by the National Trust Main Street Center. The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for management of HGDMS operations. HGDMS began in 2020 and this will be the first full time employee.
Passion for Mission
- Assist the HGDMS board with developing transformation strategies that are based on historic preservation and utilization of the community’s human and economic resources, using the Main Street Four Point Approach: design; promotion; organization; and economic vitality.
- Assist HGDMS Committees with implementation of transformation strategies and individual Committee workplans. Ensure communication between committees is well established. Assist HGDMS Committees with producing community events, seasonal festivals, and other activities to promote Historic Greenwood District as a hub of positive activity.
- Be an advocate for the Historic Greenwood District and HGDMS within the public, private, and non-profit sectors of Tulsa. Help build strong and productive working relationships and liaise with appropriate agencies at the local and state levels.
Management and Administration
- Manage all administrative aspects of HGDMS operations including purchasing, record keeping, budget development, and accounting. Prepare and submit reports required by INCOG, Oklahoma Main Street program, and National Main Street Center.
- Maintain appropriate financial, personnel, and other management systems and procedures to minimize the possibility of legal or financial challenges.
- Supervise professional design consultants, as needed.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of HGDMS’s work.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in revitalization and the National Main Street Program by attending trainings or conferences as required by Oklahoma Main Street Center and INCOG.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices in coordination with Board.
- Work with Board in preparing a budget; ensure the organization operates within budget guidelines.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure effective systems to track progress, and regularly evaluate program components, to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Communications and Public Relations
- Develop and conduct ongoing branding, public awareness and education programs designed to foster an interest in and understanding of HGDMS’s mission, goals, and objectives.
- Coordinate speaking engagements, media interviews and personal appearances to keep the Historic Greenwood District in the public eye. Work closely with local media to ensure maximum coverage of community activities.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with a broad range of community sectors including community groups, all levels of government, other nonprofit organizations, and business organizations.
- Expand local revenue generating and fundraising activities to support program operations and expansion.
- Gather, interpret, and articulate information to board members about community trends and resources as they relate to enhancing their capacity for effective communication, decision-making, and long-term planning.
- Assist the Board President in planning the agenda and materials for board meetings.
- Provide monthly financial reports for board review.
- Ensure HGDMS maintains Directors and Officers insurance to limit board member legal liability.
- Assist and support board member’s ability to make informed decisions that serve the best interests of HGDMS and its stakeholders.
- Facilitate the orientation of new board members.
- Other duties as assigned.
All candidates should have proven leadership and relationship management experience. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
Work experience, Skills, and Education
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience (3 – 5 years) in business administration, non-profit management, urban planning, community development, or related field
- Experience in outcomes-based project management
- Experience in engaging business, government, and/or other community organizations in valuable partnerships
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and accounting software
- Experience in nonprofit management
- Proficiency in professional multimedia creation and editing tools
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed operational strategies that have contributed to growth of an organization
- Previous experience with a Main Street Program
- Demonstrated experience supporting historic preservation and/or importance of the Historic Greenwood District
- Demonstrated commitment to Black community and economic development of north Tulsa, Black entrepreneurship, and cultural legacy of Historic Greenwood District
Personal traits and attributes
- Knowledge of basic accounting protocols and ability to review finances to build consensus around priorities and monitor ongoing expenditures
- Experience in initiating, planning, implementing, and evaluating programs and services
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule that may include some evenings, weekends, and travel
- Past success working with a board of directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Creative about building bridges between and among competing interests
Professional licenses, accreditations, and certifications
- Work is performed primarily in office setting. Some outdoor work is required. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of office equipment.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear; sit; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is often required to stand or walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Remote work initially, with plans to transition to office as determined by Board of Directors
Historic Greenwood District Main Street Board of Directors
None, no additional employees currently
Base salary: $55,000 with opportunity for bonus. Benefits include health insurance and cell phone monthly stipend ($400) and paid time off.
To apply, please submit a resume detailing your employment history, experience, education, and contact information, as well as a cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified for this position, to email@example.com ATTN: Jabar Shumate.
May 19, 2021
Please submit a resume detailing your employment history, experience, education, and contact information, as well as a cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified for this position, to firstname.lastname@example.org ATTN: Jabar Shumate.